File Extension Changer makes it very easy to change the extension(s) of single or multiple files. It integrates in context menu of files and folders without the use of DLLs thereby providing ease of use without loading the system when not in use. It supports Drag n Drop feature helping you change extensions of multiple files simultaneously. Also features a completely portable version of the program supporting context menu integration as well.
- By integrating in file's context menu, File Extension Changer makes it very easy to change a file's extension. * By integrating in folder's context menu, extensions of multiple files can be changed in one go.
- In normal mode too, files & folders can be added using drag & drop and extensions of multiple files even from different folders can be changed in seconds.
- Advanced Mode features include conditional changing of extensions in which the user can provide some conditions on the basis of which extensions are changed. Also this list can be saved as a file for later use.
- New path for files can be provided to move all the renamed files to the new folder.
- Batch file can be created to UNDO any changes done. Moreover, batch or REDO file can be created for the rename process by which the entire renaming can be redone.
- Have record of what you do with log files that can be created for each session to log the renaming activities.
- Context menu entries can be added or removed easily using Registry Manager included with File Extension Changer.
- Portable version also available. Don't want another program in your start menu or simply want to put File Extension Changer on your USB drive. Now you can. Shell integration is still achievable using Registry Manager.
NOTE - If you experience any problems using File Extension Changer, please refer to the following notes that I hope will solve many of the common issues related to the program. Feel free to mail me if you are in some doubt.
- For Windows Vista users, File Extension Changer will not work as it requires "comdlg32.ocx" file. But you can make it work by downloading and registering the same. Here's a good article on how to do it. After doing this, the program will work as good as in Windows XP.
- Remember that changing a file's extension will NOT change or convert its contents according to the extension. For example, changing the extension of a 'WAV' file to 'MP3' file will only rename the file but the content of the file is still in the WAV format. Similarly changing the extension of a 'BMP' file to 'JPG' file will NOT change the format of the file. It may seem to work but actually its not. So, if you need that functionality, download an appropriate audio/video/image converter. That will help you convert a file's format and obviously change its extension .
- The directory structure of the zip archive should be maintained for proper operation of the program. Otherwise you may encounter certain problems during renaming related to BackUp, log and Redo file creation.
- The user should note that File Extension Changer do not use any kind of DLL (Dynamic Link Library) files even for shell integration. Instead it uses registry for that. No component of File Extension Changer is present in the runtime when it is not running neither it loads the system when it is not running.
- Context menu entries can be added or removed even after installation from Start->Programs->File Extension Changer->Context Menu Settings or for portable version using Registry Manager included with File Extension Changer.
- The above step requires that the user has administrative privileges. If not, logon to an account having administrative privileges or contact your administrator.
- Backup, redo and log files are saved in the File Extension Changer's folder for DragnDrop Mode and Directory Mode. For Shell Mode, the backup file is saved in the folder where the file whose extension is changed is present.
- Backup, redo and log file (for DragnDrop Mode and Directory Mode) can be created only when File Extension Changer is present on a media which is NOT write-protected. Otherwise, the program will show an error. While running the program from a read-only media, disable backup, redo and log file creation for File Extension Changer to function properly.
- It is very important that the Backup files are executed in reverse order (i.e., the latest Backup file should be executed first & then its previous one & so on) by looking at its Date & Time stamp in its file name. Log file can also be referred for the same for File Extension Changer v3.2.1. Failing to do so will not result in the expected results. Also change of file name or extension manually, with some other software or with File Extension Changer (without backup mode) after the Backup file was created for a previous change for the same file will make the file undetectable from the same Backup process.
- DO NOT select 'Change Extension' from context menu when more than one files are selected, as it will open up many instances of File Extension Changer. Instead, for multiple files, run the program from the 'Programs' group in 'Start Menu' and then add the desired files to be renamed in the drop list box.
- Providing improper extension to a file may make it unusable. In that case, change the file's extension to the original one either using the backup 'BATCH' file (if created) or manually.
- If the path of file is changed using 'Change Path' option, the renamed file will be moved to that folder.
- If 'Change Path' is checked, the backup batch file will NOT be able to UNDO the path. However, filename can be reverted back to the original one.
- REDO batch file will not work if 'Change Path' option was selected during its session.
- Using File Extension Changer from a file's context menu for 'lnk' extension files, (i.e. link files or shortcuts) from shell menu will direct it towards the actual target file & not the shortcut itself.
- Using File Extension Changer from a folder's context menu will show files present in that folder. Files present in the subfolders are neither shown nor affected.
- In drag & drop mode, the user should add only file(s). The files may be present in different folders. But adding of folder(s) will do nothing. If you want to rename the contents of a folder, use 'Add Directory' or right click a folder & select 'Change Extension(s)'.
- The integration in context menu of files & folders is optional & can be changed by re-installing the application. Remember to uninstall the application first.
- New filename+extension should NOT be same to any other file already present in the destination folder or should NOT become same after the change. (For example - if the extensions of the following two files ABC.INI & ABC.INF present in the same folder (or is to be moved to same destination folder after rename) are to be changed to TXT, then new filename+extension for both files will become same).
- Update checker is removed from File Extension Changer version 3.3.1 as many anti virus programs are giving it a false positive. If you are using an older version of File Extension Changer, I can assure you that it does NOT contain any kind of virus/spyware/malware etc. It just downloads a text file in your temp folder for checking the latest version of the program. If you are still in doubt, simply delete it. It won't affect File Extension Changer in any way.
OS: Windows 98/NT/2000/ME/XP. Works on Vista/Windows 7 by a small tweak (See notes above for detail).
If you like File Extension Changer and find it useful, please consider making a generous donation. I will appreciate any amount you donate even if its a small one. Your payment will be completely safe and done through PayPal. Click on the button below to continue.
Mirror 1: Softpedia
Mirror 2: FreewareFiles.com
Mirror 3: Windows Live SkyDrive
Mirror 4: Local Site
Download File Extension Changer Help (Already included in File Extension Changer Setup and Portable version).
* File Extension Changer Setup is made using Inno Setup by Jordan Russell, a great freeware utility for making installers.
* File Extension Changer Help is written using Help Maker by Vizacc, the best freeware Help Authoring tool.
* 3.3.1 - 5 bugs fixed. Removed update checker.
* 3.3 - Portable version released. Added Registry Manager. Fixed: Error when user selects hidden file from context menu in Shell Mode. Fixed: Error when user selects drives from context menu in directory mode.
* 3.2.2 - 4 bugs fixed related to logging process.
* 3.2.1 - Bug fixed related to the addition of hidden files in Drag & Drop modes, added Date & Time stamp in the log file structure.
* 3.2 - Added Backup, REDO & Log file features to all the three modes.
* 3.1.1 - 2 bugs fixed.
* 3.1 - Update checker included.
* 3.0 - Added Advanced Mode features to drag & drop mode, added Directory Mode, added function to add multiple files & directory using command buttons.
* 2.2.1 - 4 bugs fixed.
* 2.2 - Added a progress bar for the rename process in Drag&Drop Mode + 'Change Extension' context menu entry made optional + 2 bugs fixed.
* 2.1 - 2 bugs fixed.
* 2.0 - Added feature of drag & drop with multiple files support + 2 bugs fixed, renamed as File Extension Changer.
* 1.1 - Added browse folder dialog + 2 bugs fixed.
* 1.0 - Extension Changer released.
The author takes no responsibility for any loss of data or whatever occurs due to the use of this program.
USE THE PROGRAM AT YOUR OWN RISK.
September 22nd, 2009